Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August 27, 2015, Part 2: Skopelos, the Town

August 27, 2015, Part 2: Skopelos, the Town

Copyright Casondra Sobieralski, 2015.  Please contact photographer for permission to use. 


This batch of photos represents my third day's exploration of the Island of Skopelos, where I did a 2.5 week artist-in-residency at the ever-enchanting Skopelos Foundation for the Arts
I was really there to do a video installation, so these photos were just my way of exploring and establishing a sense of place. 

This batch of photos shows that life in Skopelos is all about, and has always been all about, the sea.


Remember, you can click on these thumbnails to see large versions. 

~ ~ ~


The comings and goings of the ferry have a temporal rhythm. And when the ferry arrives or departs, the whole mood of the port changes because of the hundreds of people coming and going.  

I would like to do a short video just about the ferry, treating it as a character.  






One of my favorite photos of the whole trip...

















The Skopelos Folklore Museum brings to life the Victorian past of the island. 
































These creepy mannequins were so animated, I knew right away they were going to shape the direction of my video.  What were they saying to each other?  I also liked how their minimalist faces echoed the shapes of the Byzantine icons. 




















The town of Skopelos winds up into the hills above the port.  the streets are narrow and cobblestone.  Here is a sampling of the vernacular architecture and its textures.





















Got 11 minutes, 6 seconds? See the video I installed at SkopArts. Installation was life size: https://vimeo.com/139816791 

No comments:

Post a Comment