Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Nevada City and Yuba River, Sierra Foothills, California with Rora: October 16-17, 2022

 My friend Rora and I realized that we never did anything for ourselves to celebrate phinishing our PhDs this summer. (We graduated from the same department.)

ROAD TRIP!!!

We went to Nevada City, Grass Valley including a short hike at Empire Mine State Park, and the Yuba River.  I found a great running trail right from where we stayed.  I could so live in Nevada City. There is an artsy enclave there, lots of filmmakers.  --but because it is in between San Francisco and Tahoe, with work from home it has become completely unaffordable to creatives and nonprofit sorts. Another town bites the dust to the techies. 

But it still is a lot of fun to visit!  --especially near Halloween.  (Rora and I were walking near a cemetery at night, and some humanoid figure wrapped in swaths of white fabric came out of the woods, like he was mid-mummification.  We ran.)

 And maybe as tech crashes, we can take it back.

(Cell phone photos only. Part of me wishes I'd had my DSLR hiking above the Yuba River, and part of me is glad I wasn't carrying the weight of my camera pack because the footing beneath me was precarious and dry, and I have really bad health insurance coverage right now! ;)


Power to the witches! (They can fly if they fall from a high trail.)






Nevada City public radio station



Empire Mine State Park





Yuba River




"Rora of the Rocks," in the Yuba River.  

Reminds me of a DaVinci painting, with space for cherubic babies to be added.




No comments:

Post a Comment