Sunday, January 8, 2017

Soledad Mission, California Dec 19, 2016

Soledad Mission, California Dec 19, 2016

All images copyright Casondra Sobieralski

I was working with acoustics at the Santa Cruz Mission for Fall 2016 quarter, so I decided to go explore more missions over winter break.  I had been to Soledad before, but not in about 15 years.  It is quite remote.  This year, I landed there for a holiday choir rehearsal, which lent a seasonal and festive flair to my trip!  But the singers seemed a bit shy about my recording them, so I just enjoyed their caroling for myself.

Mission Soledad was constructed by the Spanish in 1791.

Kevin and I also went to my first Las Posadas celebration/performance at San Miguel Mission as our special Solstice thing this year.  Any other year I would have photographed or recorded it, as it was quite a cultural treat.  This year, though, out of respect for nervousness about the election, I did not even ask.  (Everyone was Spanish speaking, with a couple people who were bilingual explaining to the East Coast reared one--me--what was going on.  San Miguel, like Soledad, is in a mostly-Mexican farmworker region.)  

CLICK ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE















No comments:

Post a Comment